English Enrichment Course for Punggol this week goes to Peru.
Machu Picchu is a 15th Century Inca citadel located 2.4km above sea level in Cusco, Peru. Discovered by American historian Hiram Bingham, it is the first major historical archeological discovery to be recorded and documented in photography and presented to the world in 1911.
Information of Machu Picchu:
- constructed for the Inca emperor Pachacuti 1438-72
- was not known, abondoned and spared destruction of Spanish Conquest
- discovered by Hiram Bingham
- mistaken to be the Lost City of the Incas
- declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site 1983
- New Seven Wonders of the World
- built 2430m above sea level
- located in the centre of 4 significant mountains
- sophisticated architecture with hidden underground water run off
- water run off prevent erosion and protects Machu Picchu
Vocabulary List for Machu Picchu
- national identity
- shrouded in mystery